- Trailer: PV Trailer
- What it’s about: Two men – one old and one young – arrive at a mysterious bar, neither of them with any memories of how they got there. The bartender informs them that they will not be allowed to leave until they play a game of pool against one another, and hints darkly at the possibilities should they lose.
- Why you should watch it: Death Billiards was one of the handful of finalists that qualified for the annual “Young Animator Training Project”. Submitted by Madhouse, the animation quality is excellent. The story is dark, but relatively brief – this is a half-hour short, after all. Nonetheless, the story told is the perfect length, giving enough hints to backstory to keep you interested without spinning it out too long. A good, short work.
- Caveats: None, really, except that there isn’t going to be any sort of follow-up. It accomplishes everything it set out to do, and leaves the viewer to decide for themselves what to take away from the work.
- Themes: Passing judgment.
- Similar works: If you enjoyed this, try out some of the other shorts from the same competition, such as Little Witch Academia and Mechanized Faeries