- What it’s about: After seeing a demonstration of magic by the lowbrow entertainer-witch “Shiny Chariot”, Akko Kagari has one ambition – to grow up to be just like her! Little Witch Academia is a one-off (for now) short movie showcasing the adventures she gets into after enrolling in the Magic Academy.
- Why you should watch it: Little Witch Academia the closest you’re ever going to get to an anime version of Harry Potter. It’s also the most talked-about entry to ever have come out of the annual government-sponsored “Young Animator Training Program”. Animated by Trigger, it’s lighthearted, funny, and most of all fun to watch. On top of that, until the long-promised sequel comes out, it’s only a half-hour long from start to finish, and it’s definitely worth the investment
- Caveats: It’s short, and if you enjoy it at all you’re almost certainly going to want more.
- Themes: Pursuing your dream. Resisting peer pressure.
- Similar works: Well, start out by watching the other shorts that have come out of the Young Animator Training Program. They’re all wildly divergent in style, but I can whole-heartedly recommend Death Billiards and Ojii-san no Lamp.