- Trailer: English subtitled version
- What it’s about: Tatsumi is an adventurer, newly arrived in the capital city hoping to earn enough money to support his destitute village. But life is more complicated here; everyone has an angle and no help is free. After several betrayals, Tatsumi falls in with the renegade group Night Raid, who seek to topple the central government that has become hopelessly corrupt. But is the solution they offer any better?
- Why you should watch it: It’s a well-executed fantasy adventure romp. While on the whole the tone of the show is fairly light-hearted, it’s not afraid to dip into darker themes when necessary. The animation and soundtrack are solidly above average (though the stylised single-panel callouts during fight scenes are an unusual way to go about things) and the voice actors throw in excellent performances. In all, it’s a very “turn off your brain and enjoy” type of show.
- Caveats: It’s not really a show that breaks the mould. It’s very well done, but it rarely strays out of the standard tropes of the genre. Deep thinking is not required.
- Themes: The ethics of vigilantism when fighting a corrupt power
- Similar works: Mirai Nikki, Hitsugi no Chaika