- Trailer: Aniplex Trailer
- What it’s about: Magic is no longer a mystery, but a codified science upon which all modern militaries depend. To encourage development of the necessary skills, national academies have been set up for prospective talents to hone their skills. Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba have just enrolled in “First High”, only to discover that prejudice and classism are rife within the student body.
- Why you should watch it: This is an unapologetic power fantasy. It does away with the usual tropes of having the protagonist start out weak only to discover their true potential – Tatsuya starts off leagues ahead of his peers and stays that way. The magic system, politics, and general worldbuilding is intricate and detailed, and a lot of attention is lavished upon making sure the audience keeps up. The animation of the fight sequences is also pretty fantastic.
- Caveats: The pacing is really, really weird. The complexity of the world requires a lot of exposition, which isn’t handled as adroitly as one might hope – lots of sit-down “As You Know” conversations. There is a heavy (albeit one-way) incestual romantic substory going on, so if that squicks you out, Id probably avoid the series.
- Themes: Objectivist-leaning discussion on privilege, responsibility, and classism
- Similar works: The world of A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun is in many ways quite similar, though the story and characters are quite different.