- Trailer: Fansub trailer
- What it’s about: The wandering warrior-woman Balsa is in search of repentance, having vowed to save eight souls from death. When the Empress asks her to save the Second Prince of the Empire from the ongoing attempts upon his life, she quickly accepts and takes him under her wing. The story follows the pair as they flee in search of safety from the Emperor’s own forces, who believe that they must kill Balsa’s new charge to save their nation.
- Why you should watch it: It’s a family slice-of-life-style drama with a decent splash of action to keep things interesting. When a fight does happen, the choreography is superb. Outside of that, the backdrops and scenery are fantastic, and the worldbuilding is first-rate. You get a sense of the society and world around Balsa through the eyes of several secondary characters. There’s a very “Chinese cinema” feel to Seirei no Moribito, not just in the setting but in the style of storytelling as well. All in all, it’s a pretty standard pulp-fantasy adventure story, with all the standard tropes you’d expect thrown in for good measure. It’s entertaining and there’s very little bad to say about it. A very solid series.
- Caveats: Outside of action scenes the plot can drag at times, with some heavy exposition going on especially in the early episodes. You do really need to go into it with the mindset of watching a slice of life show with some action rather than an action show with some slice of life, though.
- Themes: Family, duty, honour.
- Similar works: The Twelve Kingdoms. Avatar: The Last Airbender, kind of.