- Trailer: English dubbed version
- What it’s about: Hana, a 19-year-old college student, falls in love with a mysterious classmate, only to discover that he’s half-wolf. The romance comes to an abrupt end when the man is killed, leaving Hana to raise their two children alone. The film follows the family as Hana struggles to bring up her kids without revealing their true nature, with few resources and no friends to lean upon.
- Why you should watch it: It’s a fantastic story, told well and with utterly believable characters. It’s impossible not to empathise with each of the three protagonists who, despite their differences in personalities, worries, and desires, nonetheless share a familial bond that ties them all together. It’s a story about family, and one that I think has an almost universal appeal even to those who might not otherwise watch anime.
- Caveats: Very few. Even if you’re not a fan of family dramas I would recommend giving this a try before discarding it.
- Themes: Family.
- Similar works: Try some of the director’s other works, like Summer Wars or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. For something with a more thematic similarity, try Usagi Drop.